Sunday, August 5, 2012

{Recipe} Breakfast Casserole


Even though I'm not working right now, weekends still have that "sleep in and relax" feel for me. During the week, I'm a "forget breakfast" or "eat a bowl of cereal" type of girl, but on the weekends, I like to something more substantial. A breakfast casserole is quick, easy and rather versatile.

Plus, it's hard to mess up.

The dogs were a captive audience, until they realized I wasn't going to give them any bacon, and Demon Kitty was indifferent to everything.

Ra was distracted by the kitties
Stormy is rather confused


The Boyfriend Unit ignored all of us, as he's working from home today. Bah humbug.


I originally found this recipe on AllRecipes.com many years ago, and I change it up a bit every time I make it. The original recipe can be found here.

Ingredients

  • Hunk of French bread
  • 1/2 pound of bacon
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • Dash of salt, pepper, basil and cayenne

Directions
  1. Prepare bacon, either via oven at 400ºF for 12 to 15 minutes, or on the stovetop.
  2. Break bread up into tiny pieces and cover bottom of glass pie dish.
  3. Sprinkle the bacon and cheese over bread cubes.
  4. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, spices, salt and pepper. Pour over the bacon and cheese.
  5. Bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes or until puffed and golden.
  6. Admire your handiwork, and promptly eat.

2 comments: